Transporting goods from one place to another always comes with a risk of damage and contamination before the product could be used. And that’s the reason why plastic packaging becomes an important contributor in the transportation cycle. Whether its food, medicine or any other product, wrapping it tight offers extra protection especially for the long journey. Now since it takes considerably more amount of resources to create food itself, it often makes environmental sense to protect it for as long as possible so the resources invested in its growth are not invested in vain.
Plastic offers several functional properties such as being safe for food, flexible, transparent, opaque, chemical and heat resistant. It has emerged so well in the field of transportation that without such kind of packaging one cannot imagine transporting a wide range of products people rely on every day.
Primary reasons include:
- Protection- Like I said before, plastic protects vulnerable products from damage while in transit and from contamination or damage by moisture, humidity, gases, microorganisms, insects, and light.
- Presentation- When can a product’s face value increase? Obviously, when it is packed beautifully grabbing the attention of several potential consumers. Several food items like chocolates are often purchased as a gift item due to its attractive packaging.
- Preservation- It even preserves products for longer, which reduces waste by giving people more time to use or consume them before it becomes no longer suitable to do so.
- Security seals- Plastic packaging even helps in securing the product from leakage and ensures a standard quality of the products as a broken seal. This means the product has tampered while a locked seal means the sign of purity. Which also means that the product is consumable.
- Prevents waste- Keep products together and avoids spillages.
- Transportation- Allows transport over great distances, encourages trade. Also saves space through stacking objects which makes transport more efficient.
- Display information- Important information can be displayed such as nutritional content or allergy advice.
Overall, plastic saves us in so many ways, it is successfully incorporated in all market sectors ranging from health to medical, home, garden, consumer packed goods, cosmetics, personal care and what not! As a result, we at Hunter Industrial Supplies continue improving packaging sustainability by offering online plastic packaging materials like bubble wrap, bin liners, PVC shrink wrap, pallet top covers, timber wraps, lDPE lay flat tube, poly bags, zip lock bags, singlet bags and so more.
Recycling and Plastics
There are few kinds of plastics which cannot be recycled or disposed of easily either for a technical or economic reason. For instance, recyclers do not accept Styrofoam as it comprises of a lightweight foam structure. Polystyrene products, such as plastic forks and compact disc cases, however, are recyclable. Other common recyclable products include vinyl packaging, medicine bottles made of polypropylene, low-density polyethylene disposable drink cups, and high-density polyethylene milk bottles, etc.
Another interesting aspect of recycling plastic is that it requires creative thinking on the part of designers, technicians, and manufacturers. Certain innovations such as decking that never rots, types of sports clothing, vehicle interiors, etc. Of course, the amount of plastic being used is pretty less in compared to commercial uses, they help raise environmental awareness and inspire creative thinking.